Video: Breaking Down Keith Thurman Vs Shawn Porter Sparring
Video of Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter sparring is at the bottom of the article.
Video courtesy of Keith Thurman and ThaBoxingVoice, we finally get a glance into the much talked about Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter sparring video.
Kenny Porter has previously claimed that in their sparring, Thurman continually ran and Shawn got the better of him.
Thurman claims he gave as good as, if not better, than he got.
Things To Keep In Mind
There are a few important things to remember while watching the sparring video:
- And most importantly, it is just sparring! Sparring can give an idea on how 2 competitors match up but many times power is dialed down, specific skills are being worked, and intentions aren’tas malicious as they would be in front of a crowd when a record is on the line.
- Both fighters are wearing 20 oz gloves. Although I believe this benefits Shawn Porter more than Thurman, smaller gloves will definitely add more suspense the day of the fight.
- Beware of misleading commentary. One comment specifically being Keith Thurman sparred 4 or 5 rounds prior to sparring a fresh Porter. The only things we KNOW are the facts contained within the actual video. The video which Thurman does not even precisely remember which leads me to the 4th point.
- The sparring video is 3 years old. A lot can change in 3 years, skill, endurance, experience, etc…
- Lastly, this video is evidence of one sparring session out of many these 2 fighters had together. And because it was hand picked and produced by Keith Thurman, I would take the contents with a grain of salt.
All that being said, the video did contain some interesting takeaways.
- Keith Thurman seems to be a tricky opponent for Porter. He caught Shawn with a few punches that could have ended a fight had they been thrown with bad intentions or with lighter gloves.
- Shawn Porter took a while to warm up or get accustomed to Thurman, but when he did he was a dog, even in sparring.
- Keith Thurman wastes a lot of energy with useless motion. A lot of times where he could have capitalized on a punch he danced backwards instead of stepping to the side to capitalize. However, to reiterate a point made earlier, it is just sparring.
- Shawn seemed to be slightly stunned/hesitant after a few select shots from Thurman, which does not bode well for Team Porter come fight night especially since the sparring was done with 20 oz gloves.
- Shawn Porter is always in excellent shape, which may allow him to attempt to set an extreme pace with Thurman and attempt to possibly close out the show in the later rounds.
Video of Keith Thurman vs Shawn Porter sparring is below. Enjoy 🙂